Overcoming Fort Wayne Winter Blues

Arika Akin, Editor-in-Chief

Unless you won a scholastic award for your work last year (or went to the museum to support a friend or family member who did), it’s pretty unlikely that you’ve been to Fort Wayne’s own art museum in years, if ever. Caught up in our little Southwest Allen bubble, we seem to forget about all of the opportunities that downtown Fort Wayne holds. The art museum, surrounded by gorgeous sculptures, deserves more recognition. For the price of $6 for students or $8 for adults, you can spend a couple of hours wandering through the galleries of the museum. There are new exhibitions almost monthly, and the current exhibition is of Peter Bremer’s glass sculptures.

Looking to avoid the dreary weather and dead plants that seem to have taken over Fort Wayne in the wake of winter? Head over to the Foellinger Botanical Conservatory. For the low price of $3 (or $5 if you’re over the age of 17) you can enjoy the conservatory’s three climate-controlled indoor green spaces. Take some time for yourself and appreciate the conservatory’s 1,200 plants, including over 500 species and 72 different types of cacti. If you’re looking to explore the gardens (and beef up your college applications at the same time), then volunteer! The conservatory also holds seasonal events (their current theme is “Fairy Tales”) and need volunteers for their themed days.

Bad weather and slush on the roads got you down? Missing being able to be outside? Head over to Headwaters Park and experience a new form of winter-approved exercise! At the Headwaters Ice Rink you can skate the whole day away for the reasonable price of $7. The rink is open until March 4, all days of the week (hours vary, though, so check their website). At the rink, you get a chance to do everything that you could hope for: laugh at your friends when you fall down; fall over yourself and suddenly realize that you should never have laughed; have the distinctly terrible experience of having to push yourself back up to your feet (keep your hands close by, everyone); have your friends (or, lacking that, a friendly stranger) ask if you’re okay; become incredibly embarrassed and sit on the benches for the rest of the day; fun for all!

Another oft-overlooked Fort Wayne treasure is the Embassy Theatre. First opened in 1928 as the Emboyd Theatre, this event space hosts showings of movies, as well as live musical and comical performances. Prices vary, though most seats are affordable. The Fort Wayne Philharmonic performs here often, and some upcoming events to look forward to are performances on Feb. 13 and 14 of Chicago the Musical and a Cirque D’or performance on Feb. 18. Hit up one of Fort Wayne’s great downtown dining opportunities (the Hoppy Gnome comes to mind) and head to the movies!

Other Winter Activities:
– Tobogganing at Pokagon State Park
– Shopping at Glenbrook Mall
-Visiting the Fort Wayne History Center
– Jumping at Skyzone
– Lasertagging at Laser-X
– Visiting one of the many “Escape Room” destinations downtown
– Bowling at Crazy Pins
– Attend a Komets game
– Catch a movie at AMC Jefferson Pointe