Hurry up & Wait

Arika Akin, Editor-in-Chief

By this time of year midterms are over and the end of the semester is approaching fast.
For seniors, this should be a time of relaxation. Our last semester of high school is almost over and we are about to be thrust into the real world. These are uncertain times, absolutely, filled with anxiety over the future, whether it contains college or not. They should not, however, be stressful. If you structured your schedule carefully, you should be in easy classes, floating towards your graduation requirements. (If you didn’t create your schedule correctly and are in 3+ AP classes or even just seven full classes a day, like me, so jealous of your friends who get to leave, then good luck.)
In any case, you should be able to relax. Senioritis should be in full swing, and the only stress that you have to face should be deciding on where to spend your college years, right?
This is, of course, not the case. Though some students are all set for their futures, with a job or a college in place, there are still many of us, subject to the whims of academia, that are waiting on the college acceptance decisions that will shape our future.
This is, undeniably, incredibly frustrating. Some of us have even been accepted to one or more colleges but are unable to accept our acceptances and start filling out the myriad of forms necessary to become a college student until we hear from other places.
As if to add insult to injury, some colleges even release acceptance decisions early to the star-studded few who the colleges legitimately want (and send you a condescending email telling you that “the majority of applications, like yours, are still under review.” Thanks).
Even if colleges don’t do this to you, their decision to wait to release acceptance is still a huge inconvenience, and causes undue amounts of unnecessary stress.
Late decision releases are especially distressing if you’re waiting to commit to colleges like Indiana University, which have a first come-first serve housing application, having to wait to commit directly increases the chance that you will not recieve your first choice in housing. It also means that you’re losing valuable time that you could use to find a roommate, as no one wants to be put into the position of having to find a new roommate at the last minute.
Having to wait for application decisions also costs valuable time that could be used to visit the colleges that you might end up going to. There’s a delicate balance necessary to getting the most out of those three college visits that students get yearly, and using them all in a row in April isn’t a good way to stay on top of your academics.
Waiting to release decisions also allows for more doubt to form. Though a student may have internally decided to attend one college, waiting to hear back heightens anxiety about whether they will be accepted, and they tend to begin to look more favorably on the colleges that they have already been accepted at.
In any case, late application decisions force students into limbo about their futures; unable to finalize their college applications, and pay the hundreds of dollars necessary to commit, students are forced to wait for the light at the end of the hallway: acceptance into the college of their dreams.
Honestly, there are no true solutions to this problem. Colleges will, in any case, require time to process the applications that they receive, and no matter what students will still be forced to agonize over forces outside of their control while waiting for acceptances. I, as a student waiting on decisions to determine my future, of course want colleges to just release their decisions earlier. Colleges, of course, especially those who receive over 50,000 applications, want more time to accurately process applications. Even more obviously, colleges that use a “holistic” approach to acceptances, looking over more than just a student’s test scores, need time. There’s a reason why it takes so long to hear back from colleges, but it doesn’t change the fact that I’m in agony.