Creating an Episode of “HHS In Depth”

Ryan Terrill, Writer

Students have many different ways to share their creativity with the school, and one of those ways is the highly anticipated “HHS In Depth.” Every Friday, students get to enjoy a new episode during their fifth period class. These episodes cover all of the recent events that occur within the school and the surrounding community.
“The best part about being on ‘HHS In Depth’ is that you get to better inform kids around the school of what’s really going on at Homestead on a day-to-day basis,” Garrett Willis (12) said. “You can walk around here seventh period every single day and see what’s going on around you by going class to class, but you may not get to see what’s happening in different activities and clubs.”
The production of an episode takes place throughout the week and the final product has to be ready by Friday.
“We have a chalk board in the classroom where we write down what features we are planning on making,” Willis said. “We usually decide on what is going (to be made) about two weeks in advance so once you are assigned a feature you know when to have it finished.”
Students are assigned their own segment, which they must complete by their deadline.
“Every Thursday, the show has to be finished and my segment has to be done,” Willis said. “You have to be very organized on your interview dates and you have to be diligent on your editing. You need to make sure that you meet all of your deadlines but still have a quality product to put up.”
Regan Jones (12) has been on “HHS In Depth” for two years. She took the introductory class her sophomore year and since then has discovered a new interest in broadcasting.
“I joined ‘HHS In Depth’ because my friend was in the broadcasting intro class our freshman year and talked about it all of the time,” Jones said. “I had never really gotten into broadcasting before so I thought it would be fun to get into media. I took the intro class and I really enjoyed it.”
In order to become a member of “HHS In Depth,” students need to take the radio and TV introductory class and do well. This gives students the ability to see if they would like to pursue the class.
“Adam Schenkel will evaluate whether or not he wants you in his advanced TV class,” Ellie Davis (11) said.
Students involved in “HHS In Depth” learn about ways in which they can be a successful reporter, editor and investigative journalist.
“Investigative journalism is one of the best things that ‘HHS In Depth’ people can do,” Willis said. “Being able to get some skills here provides a very good basis for what you want to be able to pursue in college. It also gives you 21st century skills that employers will be looking for in the communications field.”
In addition to broadcasting, there are a wide variety of life skills students learn from “HHS In Depth.”
“My favorite part of ‘HHS In Depth’ is definitely anchoring because it’s a fun aspect of that class and being able to be seen by all your peers while doing something you love is a lot of fun,” Davis said.
Along with all of the lessons that students learn from being apart of the crew, students are able to meet new people and have a creative outlet.
“The class is fun and I have it with a lot of my friends,” Jones said. “Also, making the features is really fun and getting to do investigative journalism and asking people questions and being proud of what you produce (is too).”
Along with making feature segments, anchoring is another component of “HHS In Depth.”
“Adam Schenkel, (radio teacher), can pick a different anchor every week, depending on who he thinks has been working hard, who hasn’t gotten to go yet or if they are submitting it for a contest,” Willis said. “It is a week-to-week process for deciding on who is going to go.”
“HHS In Depth” is the perfect class for those who enjoy broadcasting or media, and it is a class that educates students on useful life skills. The students put a lot of hard work and effort into each episode, which makes the final product even more rewarding.
“I think that ‘HHS In Depth’ is a great class for kids to be able to join if you are willing to work for it and willing to know that you have deadlines to meet, but still (want) to put out the best quality product,” Willis said. “(You’ll) learn how to better incorporate technology into what you do every single day (by) editing videos (and) going to tape stuff, (and) you’ll learn more about Homestead and meet people that you never thought you would be able to meet.”