Lax to the Max

Emmalyn Meyer, Writer

For most students, spring is the best season. It brings sun, warm weather and most importantly: a break from school. However, a select few include another item on their list of favorite spring activities: lacrosse.
When spring rolls around, the members of the girls’ lacrosse team grab their sticks and head out to the field for daily two-hour practices. For hours on end, the girls practice rep after rep, catching, cradling, passing and shooting balls, perfecting every skill. The season may only be two months long, but the games are long and frequent.
The girls’ lacrosse team has become more cohesive this season; chemistry is their main goal, after all. At the first tournament of the season in Evansville, the team played five games, winning two and losing the other three.
“Obviously, we would rather have won all the games but we worked hard in the other games and they were close losses,” Hannah Snyder (12), defensive player, said. “It shows our potential to grow, and we think we can have a really good season.”
Unfortunately, even though the season only started in March, the team has already lost a star player to injury: Peri Darmofal (12), attacker and midfielder.
While playing in a game on Mar. 10, a member of another team collided with Darmofal, causing her to fall on her right ankle, snapping it. After sitting out for a game, she played again, but tripped over her sister, Helen Darmofal (9), bursting the bursa sac in her knee and tearing a few ligaments in her finger.
“For some reason, this year we have a lot of injuries, like one of our star players, Peri Darmofal, who makes a lot of the goals,” Regan Jones (12) said. “A couple girls have concussions. Plus, there’s a few torn ACLs.”
Most students do not know that from a few schools nearby, including Carroll and Bishop Dwenger make up the lacrosse team, due to the lack of lacrosse teams in the city; however, the conjoined team does not affect the chemistry nor the bond that the team has.
“I see Homestead people in the hallway and not Dwenger people, but at practice, it’s not like Dwenger people are in a corner and Homestead people (are) in another,” Darmofal said. “It’s not cliquey; we’re all one unit.”
However, because the team is a Homestead team that does not have players from only Homestead on it, the team is not an IHSAA school-sanctioned sport and is, instead, a club team. Next year though, Carroll will have a lacrosse team, and the players speculate their team may become exclusively for Homestead students.
“The only bad part (about having a multi-school team) is that it makes us a club team and club teams cannot compete in the postseason competition,” Snyder said. “Other than that, I really like it, because I like meeting and forming friendships with girls from other schools.”
Unlike school sports, where the players have been involved in the sport for most of their lives, most lacrosse players learned the sport by coming to the first practice and picking up skills along the way. While Darmofal used her hockey skills to learn the sport, Jones began with no prior knowledge, and the team accepted both anyway.
“I moved here from Michigan, and I didn’t like hockey anymore because I kept getting injured, and I’d heard that girls’ lacrosse wasn’t a contact sport, so I just showed up to the first Homestead practice,” Darmofal said.
The girls’ lacrosse team accepts those who attend, and they encourage anyone who wants to play to join the team next year.
“It is a club sport, so you don’t have to play for years on end – you can come to the team and learn,” Jones said. “It’s honestly pretty cool that you can make great friends from all around just from a sport.”