Happily Hired

Emily Tyler, Writer

Mrs. Lyne: Mathematics

I went to college at Cal State Long Beach in California. I grew up in California and I was there for 32 years. This is my 9th year teaching. I just moved down here to Indiana this July.
Of all the different places in Fort Wayne, I didn’t know what district to work with, because I didn’t have a house. So I was researching, and Homestead came up a lot. It was really high in academics, it had lots of opportunities to develop curricular and extracurricular activities and it had great opportunities for students.
Homestead is pretty nice. On my first day, I was actually pretty shocked when kids were actually thanking me. I’ve never heard that all 9 years.
It was nice to feel appreciated on day 1 and it’s great as well as the faculty. Before I even moved down here, I was getting contacted from different teachers and staff inviting me to their homes.
I love working with other families. I love teaching because I get the opportunity to really provide for my kids.
I know how frustrating math is and [I love] to give what I learned and take it to other learners [so] that [they] don’t have to go through the crazy frustration.

Mr. Hower: Chemistry

I went to IPFW. My family and I just moved here from Monroe, IN, which is about 25 miles south of here.
This is my 14th year teaching. I taught and coached at Adams Central High School. Leaving my old job was a tough decision but it was evident right away I made the right decision to come here.
Homestead is definitely known around the area as being a great school. This school offers opportunities for both teachers and students. As a teacher, coach, and parent, these opportunities were too great to turn down.
The science department teachers are amazing and have really enjoyed collaborating with them.
I really like how focused the staff and students are to succeed. I really like it.
Also, as assistant coach to the Boys Tennis team I am looking forward to a deep run in the state tournament next month!
My wife and I have been married 14 years and have three kids. We are very excited to live in Fort Wayne and be a part of SACS.
I coach and play tennis. I also am a huge Cubs fan and “The Office” junkie.

Ms. Elasser: FACS

I went to Purdue University and studied Family and Consumer Sciences Education. This is my first year teaching!
Being from the Fort Wayne area, I had never heard anything but positives about Homestead or Southwest Allen County Schools.
When I saw there was a job opening I knew it would be a wise idea to apply!
Some of my favorite things about Homestead so far being able to teach the class content I enjoy and the administration.
All of the administration and experienced teachers have been very helpful in making my first couple weeks successful.
I think that this school has overall great values and students. I am lucky to get to start off my career here!
I’ve lived here my whole life. I come from a fairly large family and enjoy being around people, especially those with good jokes. I am a big Packers fan.
I love to travel and go on spontaneous trips. My next planned trip is to the Dominican Republic.

Mr. Sherrill: Business:

I graduated from Elmhurst High School. I dual majored at Indiana Tech and then St. Francis.
I played tennis, basketball, and baseball and then I went to Indiana Tech to play baseball there.
I lived in the district. I married my high school sweetheart and we have three kids.
This is my 10th year teaching. I taught here in Fort Wayne.
I was the head of DECA at Snider where I grew the program from 12 kids to 81 in 4 years. I will be joining Mr McNeal as a Co-Advisor for Homestead where we hope to take a record number of kids to Orlando this year for Nationals.
I was also a former college baseball player, High School Head Coach at Wayne HS, and I’ve also coached varsity basketball at Snider.
I have been a coach for multiple sports and I love being outside!
There’s lots of good energy here at Homestead and lots of smiling faces. There are tons of nice people.
Homestead is awesome, it’s a cool place, and I’m excited.
I am one of our CO-OP teachers for Seniors looking to come to school half day and go to work the other half of the day.
I attend Sonrise Church and have served in their Youth Ministry through FUEL.