What A Little Color Can Do

Mikayla Havison, Copy Editor

As you stand at the end of the hall on your first day of school, you become overwhelmed by what you see: white walls. It’s your first day and this is not the environment you were planning on spending the next 180 days in.
Homestead is well known for being an academically and athletically prominent school in the area. From providing a litany of AP and Dual Credit courses to having one of the best bands and football teams in the state, the school seems to stand out amongst the schools in the areas; however, one could not come to this conclusion by walking down one of the school’s numerous halls.
The problem of lackluster decorations seems to be an easy fix; however with a possible renovation/remodel of the school on the way, the school is concerned about investing money into decorations that could be destroyed later on.
“We don’t want to invest money in cool things that could be lost in a major renovation or building project,” Park Ginder, principal said.
Not only does the update of the school pose a problem for decorating, but the school’s lack of budget for beautification is not helping the situation either.
Last year, Ginder proposed forming a beautification committee to student government. this committee was formed, but failed later on.
To counteract the failure of the beautification committee, student government provided the school with money to provide for the large metal posters; however, the posters can be considered a bit on the generic side and are only located in front of room 303, across from the IMC.
The school has a quantity of posters that have the potential to be spread about the school, but the school wishes to make them seasonal, rather than creating a balance of beauty in all of the halls.
Although the posters have some interesting elements, they could do a better job reflecting the student body as a whole. A few of the posters reflects screenshots of the website and respected figures, such as Martin Luther King Jr. These elements add a nice touch to the hallway, but they fail to reflect who the students are as individuals.
To fix this issue, the school could have the student-designers use images that are more oriented towards the students. The posters are not supposed to show the faces of students, but incorporating images of the school, could make the hallways less dismal.
Additionally, adding more artwork (in the form of paintings, posters, etc.) or using what is already present in some of the more distant hallways, could increase the happiness of students and decrease the boring nature of the hallways.
A few pops of color spread consistently throughout the school could make the environment for students and staff a happier place. A variety of psychological studies have revealed that color has a major influence on mood and such adding of color could positively influence the moods of all people in the school.
“A high school shouldn’t just be a place to go 7 hours a day,” Brooke Clements (10), a student who spent the majority of freshman year traveling from the 200s to the academy. “The building should be interesting and stimulative, and the plain white walls of Homestead don’t provide that.”
According to an article released by the New York Times, when students in a probation centre resulted towards being violent, they would calm down faster after being put in a “bubble gum pink” room than they would in a white room.
Although there are a quantity of factors that go into a person’s perception of color, the fact that color has the ability to change our mood is undeniable.
The sterile color of white is a great basis for the school; however building upon the seemingly plain walls could elevate the school and provide people with a more accurate depiction of who students and staff really are and what makes the school a special place, when they walk through the doors.