The Job Search

Ellie Denice

Ellie Denice

Jonathan Dauterman, Online Editor

Getting a job can mean a lot of things: it can be a signifier for the development into adulthood, an opportunity to get real-world experience, a chance to make new friends, and a way to make money. However, jobs also pose some newfound difficulties.

Age

Age is a common obstacle for underclassmen searching for jobs. Many 14 and 15-year-old students looking for work have trouble because it is a common requirement for jobs that employees be at least 16. However, this should not discourage younger students from searching for jobs; many fast food establishments, such as IHOP, Wendy’s and White Castle, are willing to, and often do, hire employees who are younger than 16.

Another issue that comes with age, is the challenge of finding transportation, or driving. Many underclassmen do not have their driver’s license, and while getting rides with older friends and carpooling are viable options, not everyone has access to those resources.

“(The biggest challenge with work is) definitely rides because I can’t drive myself,” Grace Kammerer (11) said.

In this scenario, the best solution is to make your employer aware of the problem. It is incredibly unlikely that you will be let go from your position based on rides. Most of the time, the issue can simply be resolved by sitting down with your manager(s), explaining the situation, and requesting an adjustment to your schedule based on when you have access to transportation.

Extracurriculars

Extracurriculars are also a challenge, specifically, the ability of students to balance extracurricular activities with their work. It is especially a problem when both work and activities are immediately after school, leaving students without enough time to do both. This is often true with students participating in athletic activities, as such activities usually meet daily.

“I would definitely apply in the summer so you can get used to the job (before school) and notify them of the school schedule in advance,” Kammerer said. “It would be great to give them your after school clubs schedule. Once you do get a job, make 2-3 friends to cover for you [when you are] in school.”

When getting a job, it is best to make employers aware of these activities during the interview for the position, and when maintaining a job, it is crucial for students to inform employers of conflicts they have as well as times they are available.

Students whose grades are important to them, also have trouble balancing the workload of their classes and sleep schedules, with the stresses of a job. This delays their homework or chores by several hours late into the night, especially if they have sports. Planning for and scheduling every day in advance are key to mitigating this stress.

Job Interview

First things first, during a job interview, it is important to do the following things: dress sharply, speak politely, ask for details about responsibilities, and be ready for questions the interviewer might ask. Be prepared to share stories of past experiences in jobs or volunteer work.

A readiness for questions the interviewer might ask is critical if the job application process requires any outside knowledge or training.

“When I applied I took a lifeguarding class through the YMCA and after that I received an application from Summit,” Isaac Hunter (11) said. “I did prepare for (the interview)…I just studied the material they went over in the lifeguard class.”

Resume

When writing a resume to send out to potential employers, it is important to keep a few things in mind. Resumes must be neat and organized, but it is not a requirement for all resumes you send out to be identical; adjusting your resume and accomplishments to suit a position you are applying for is a helpful process when seeking employers.

Avoid overly specific and repeated descriptions of former jobs; if employers are that concerned about what your past work responsibilities were, they can contact your former employer. It is worth your while to spend more time describing specific accomplishments because this demonstrates that you are capable of above-average work.

Finally, avoid making your resume overly long or wordy. Employers with open positions will be almost constantly getting applications for those positions, and they don’t have time to read a 4-page description of everything you’ve done the last decade and a half of your life.

Rather, compress your information and keep everything clear and concise. Try to aim for the balance between vivid, thorough descriptions of accomplishments and straightforward, short descriptions of yourself.

Hopefully this article gave some insight in what a job is like, as well as how to apply and prepare for one. Take care Homestead!