Fall Sports Summary

Julia Epling, Writer

Boys Cross Country
The varsity boys cross country team is made up 12 runners including 4 seniors, 6 juniors, and 2 sophomores. The team has place first 3 times and second 5 times. On October 6, the team won sectionals. Unlike most sports, cross country is a 1 class sport with roughly 400 teams in Indiana. Homestead’s team has been ranked as high as 5th in the state, and has been ranked in the top 10 all season. Seniors Ryan Ruppert, Zach Johnson, Eduardo Santoscoy, Reese Crowell, Reed Burton, and Jack Schoff are the captains for this season and have helped lead the team through a successful season. According to Coach Wilson, the team’s greatest accomplishment this year has been scoring school record points of 23 at the Warsaw Tiger Classic meet.

Boys Tennis
The varsity boys tennis team has had an outstanding season, with 19 wins and only 1 loss to Carmel High School. There are 7 total players on the team, featuring 1 senior, 2 juniors, 3 sophomores, and 1 freshman. The captains are David Heiney (12) and Daniel Gilbert (11) who have been working with Coach Mumma to lead the team to enter the State Tournament ranked #2 in Indiana. The team was also recent regional champions and won again Carroll High School on October 3.

Girls Golf
There are 7 girls playing varsity this year consisting of two seniors, three juniors, and two freshman. The varsity team had undefeated dual match season with a final score of 8-0. They have won 6 invitationals, a sectional, a regional, and finished 4th at the State Finals. According to Coach Jehl, some of the team’s greatest accomplishments are finishing 4th at the state tournament, which is the highest finish by any Homestead girls team. It’s also the fourth year in a row that the varsity team has gone undefeated in their dual match season. Finally, the team shot an even par 280 at the Concordia Invitational; which beat the old Homestead Girls Golf 18 hole record.

Football
The varsity boys football team has won 5 games and lost 3 so far this season. Between the varsity and JV roster, there are 94 players. This includes 24 seniors, 32 juniors, 31 sophomores, and 5 freshman. Besides Coach Zolman, leading the team are captains Aaron Harris (12), Austin Layton (12), Jake Archbold (11) and Porter Haught (12). The team also beat their arch-rival, Carroll, on September 28 with a score of 38-17.

Boys Soccer
The varsity boys soccer team has a record of 9-3-5 this season. They recently won the sectionals game on October The captains are Rocco Zirille and Marco Navarro. According to Coach Houser, the team’s greatest accomplishments of the season has been going undefeated versus class A and class AA ranked opponents. The team was also the co-champions of the Carroll classic.

Girls Cross Country
Through the leadership of Coach Wyss, the varsity girls cross country team has placed first 1 time, second 2 times and third 3 times. On October 6, the varsity team placed 2nd at sectionals, only losing to Carroll. The team is made up of 10 runners, with 7 of them running in a varsity race. This includes 2 seniors, 4 juniors, 1 sophomore, and 3 freshmen. The captains for this year are Izabella Henschen (12) and Julia Dvorak (11).

Girls Volleyball
The varsity girls volleyball team has a record is 20-13 going into sectionals. There are 14 players on the varsity team with 4 seniors, 7 juniors, and 3 sophomores. The captains of the team this season are Payton Krahn, Destiny Moore, and Katy Chess.

Girls Soccer
The varsity girls soccer team has had a great season so far with 14 wins and only 3 losses, including a win at sectionals on October 6. The team finished the season placing 7th in the state and is made up of 5 seniors, 7 juniors, 6 sophomores, and 5 freshmen to total 23 players. Leading the team this year are captains Jessica Tanzler (12), Ainsley Wehrle (12) and Gabby Torrez (11), alongside Coach Link.