Tardy Policy

Julia Epling, Writer

As soon as the bell rings, you rush out the door to get to your next class, weaving your way through other students in what seems to be a never ending walk from the freshman academy to the front of the building – all in six minutes. Sound familiar?

Many students take that walk everyday and 51.3% (20/39) of Homestead students have trouble making it to class on time between periods.

The current handbook gives students six minutes to walk between classes, something that Alyssa Braman, freshman student counselor, thinks is okay; however, she does recognize students sometimes struggle to get to class on time.

“I realize that it’s a really long walk, that students run into traffic jams, and sometimes they can’t control that, or if a teacher holds them over,” Braman said.

While Braman “doesn’t want students to think that she thinks it’s easy,” she does tell students they have to “book it” if they’re traveling far.

Ellie Lamont (10) has a hard walk between a few of her classes in the morning. “I start from Mr. Ankenbruck’s room, then I go upstairs to Mrs. Bogdonanwicz’s room, and then I go back to the freshman academy to Mr. Middleton’s.”

Lamont thinks the passing period should be expanded because of her experience this year.

“Even if it was expanded just one more minute it would help,” Lamont said.

Braman also suggests to students “become familiar with the side hallways” if they’re walking a long distance.

“Because so many students resort to [the main hallway] those are the areas that become the most congested…even though, distance wise [the side hallways] may be longer, students may be able to navigate those faster,” Braman said.

Lamont agrees with this and says, “the first week of school I was taking main hallways and I would barely get to class on time but then I started taking the back hallways and I…would get there pretty fast.”

The current tardy policy allows students to get four tardies with no consequence. In addition to having no consequences, students are spoken to on their third and fourth tardies about how they can improve their hallway time to prevent further tardies.

Although Lamont has to walk a long distance between classes, she has never gotten a tardy.

“I’ve never had a tardy [because] if I ever get close to getting [one], I start sprinting,” Lamont, said.

Braman supports the tardy policy because of the “number of warnings.”

“By the time they get their fifth tardy it’s not a surprise; they’re informed of the consequences and they’ve already been working through how to improve it,” Braman, said.

In a recent survey about the tardy policy and travel times, 46.2% (18/39)of students take both the side hallways and main hallway when traveling a farther distance. Along with that, 46.2% (18/39) of students take the main hallway the most no matter the distance.

While some students are tardy because of the busy hallways or being held over, many students also take care of their business during passing periods and go out of their direct route to see friends.

Even so, this does not seem to affect tardies given out because 69.2% (27/39) of students who have received a tardy in the past got it because of not making to class on time, not because they chose to do something that took time away from traveling to class.

“Sometimes [I’ll go out of my way] but I never really get the time to talk to anyone…it depends on if our schedules collide,” Lamont, said.

Because some students are tardy from being held over by teachers, Braman says “the best thing [students] can do is communicate with their teacher.”

When Braman talks to students with tardies and a long commute she’ll ask them, “does your teacher realize you’re coming from this classroom?”

She enforces that “the best thing [students] can do is communicate with their teachers…so they can be aware.”