Swimming to State

Back to Article
Back to Article

Swimming to State

June Hill, Writer

The girls swimming and diving team has been hard to beat this season winning nearly all of their meets and placing seventh at the State competition, Saturday, Feb 9. There were many highlights from the state meet; Jackie Brenn (12) won the diving title for the second time in her high school career. Shelby Crist (12), Cora Walrond (10), Audrey Crowel (10) and Kyra Tonsil (9) placed third in the 200 meter medley relay with a time of 1 minute 44 seconds. Crist also placed fifth in the 200 meter backstroke, and Crowel placed sixth in the 400 meter freestyle. Crowel, Lily Kaiser (10), Halle Weaver (9) and Maggie Stock (10) placed sixth is the 400 meter freestyle relay, then Stock finished seventh in the 100 meter freestyle. There were many more strong swims like these at the state meet that helped win the team seventh place out of the eighty participating schools.

The swim and dive team put in hours and hours of hard work before and after school and it shows in their strong performance in the pool. However, the pool at Summit was not always been on their side, over Thanksgiving break the whole swim team had to swim in 60° water when their pool heater broke. After that first chilly swim, the team went to the Huntington pool until theirs could be repaired. Fortunately, the team was resilient and were able to take the freezing water in stride as they kept working towards their aquatic goals.