DECA Competition

Students recently competed in the DECA State career Development Conference in Indianapolis.

Back to Article
Back to Article

DECA Competition

The Homestead DECA team recently competed at Indiana DECA’s State Career Development Conference (SCDC) on March 3-5 in Indianapolis.

“DECA is an [international] business competition…and we compete in different categories,” Ashley Federoff (12), said.

All of the competitions are individualized in different categories, but there are categories that are team events.

“In previous years I’ve done advertising campaign but they changed the event name this year…so it’s called integrated marketing campaign product. There’s three different types of that…so from those three we had international winners in each category,” Federoff, said.

There are twenty students continuing on to compete in Orlando, Florida on the international level at ICDC. Thirty-nine students received awards or were finalists in their SCDC events as well.

“Our advisor, Mr. McNeal, got chapter of the year…while we were at state so that was a big deal for him. I think he’s done [DECA] for 25 years,” Federoff, said.

New members can join DECA in the fall, even if they have no previous business experience.

“I joined [DECA] randomly my freshman year because a senior that sat near me at lunch told me too. It’s been a great experience and I’ve definitely become a better public speaker from it and understand business [better, too]. I’ve never taken a business class at Homestead, but I’ve done DECA for four years,” Federoff, said