Filed under Life

Your Home for the Next Four…

Seniors across the country are buckling down on their final review process of picking a college, a place where they will spend the next four years of their lives.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Your Home for the Next Four…

Jessica Walter wears her Arizona State sweatshirt on a trip to the Grand Canyon, she will be much closer to this earthly wonder when she starts school at Arizona State in the fall.

As the May 1 date approaches, seniors across the country are buckling down on their final review process of picking a college, a place where they will spend the next four years of their lives. Although many selective colleges did not release admissions decisions until March 30, students must decide within this month of where they will be heading next year.

“Next year I plan on going to Ball State to study telecommunications and I hope that after freshman year, I can transfer out to Arizona State,” Jessica Walter (12) said.

Fortunately, some students immediately knew what college was right for them after receiving the admissions decision. Many of these students choose to attend Indiana University, selecting it as the only university they applied to.

“I’ve always loved IU because both of my parents went there so I would go to a lot of football and basketball games as a kid,” Josh Yankosky (12) said.”I only applied to IU because I knew my entire life that it had everything I would need in a college.”

The affordability of in-state colleges, such as Indiana University and Purdue University, attracts many Homestead students to their campuses.

“I am going to Indiana University and studying informatics,” Rohan Gupta (12) said. “IU was the cheapest option for me and I thought that the program they offered me gave me the best opportunity for life after college and getting a job.”

Another factor in choosing the right college is the strength of the program in which students are majoring in.

“I chose IU for several reasons,” Ethan Fitch (12) said. “The successfulness of the Kelley School of Business was the driving force. I wasn’t sure about it until I went to the Kelley Direct Admit Day, but everything from the campus to the teachers and dean just felt right for me.”

For some students, a significant aspect is also the overall atmosphere of the university.

“The atmosphere sets Taylor University apart from any other school I visited and played a huge part in my decision,” Austin Layton (12) said. “The campus itself is very cool and everyone I met was so joyful and welcoming. Additionally, the Christian values shared by teachers, administrators, and students is encouraging and I am excited to spend my next four years here.

Whereas in-state colleges are available, many students desire to attend out of state universities.

“Arizona State has one of the top ten programs in the country for journalism and telecommunications and eventually I want to live in Phoenix and work in the market out there, so I thought it was the best fit,” Walter said. “I’m most excited for eventually getting to travel across the country and also getting to work in the field I want to more often.”

The breadth of options available out of state means that students must narrow their focus on which factors are most important to them.

“I chose Taylor because I appreciate the small school atmosphere,” Layton said. “It has a very prestigious biology program that will be able to provide me with extensive opportunities.”

Often times, a campus visit is the most accurate representation of life for the next four years.

“The culture of the campus (of Indiana University) and the surrounding city is beautiful,” Gupta (12) said. “I took a tour of the campus and thought that right away, IU was for me.”

For students that are interested in out of state colleges but cannot afford to visit all of them, there are still many options for gauging which one is the perfect fit. For example, college websites offer virtual tours of campus, students can contact current students through email, social media pages offer a daily life view and there are often college events in nearby major cities, such as Indianapolis or Chicago. Furthermore, college admissions sites often have daily blogs of students from different colleges.

Although choosing a college seems like a daunting task, almost all students do not regret the choice they made and could not imagine college anywhere else.