Disney+: The Future of Streaming

Anna Topmiller, Writer

From Star Wars to Sleeping Beauty to Endgame, the new streaming service, Disney+, is taking the world of streaming by storm.  Disney+ brings National Geographic, Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar and, of course, Disney, together.  

For six dollars a month, Disney+ is a steal.  Netflix, the company Disney+’s launch poses the most competition to, has subscription prices that range from twelve to fifteen dollars;  however, as the Disney+ service grows the price will almost certainly go up.  

Some drawbacks to Disney+ is that pre-existing agreements are preventing some movies such as Avengers: Infinity War from making its way over from Netflix and other streaming services.  As these agreements end, more content will be added to the platform and the growing pains of the brand-new service will start to dissipate.

This service is great for all ages.  For younger audiences, there are newer Disney Channel shows, and for older audiences, shows like The Mandalorian are more mature and interesting.  Older audiences can also get a sense of nostalgia, while watching old Disney channel shows like Hannah Montana.  Everyone can enjoy Disney classics like Aladdin and The Little Mermaid.     

Recommendations:

Stars Wars The Mandalorian: with an enigmatic new character added to the Star Wars expanded universe, a compelling story, and of course, the best reason to watch, baby Yoda.

Jonas: In 2009, Jonas, featuring the Jonas Brothers graced our screens for two seasons.  As Joe, Nick and Kevin experience life as rockstars and highschool students.  It is hilarious and features under-appreciated original JoBro songs and it even gives Frankie Jonas a chance to shine.

The Suite Life of Zack and Cody: as Riverdale continues to get weirder and weirder, it’s nice to see Cole Sprouse in a simpler time.  This show is like comfort food and is sure to make you feel nostalgic. 

Frozen:  This movie is still as relevant as ever in pop culture, even though it was released in 2013.  With Frozen 2’s recent release, this movie is definitely worth a re-watch. 

Ant-Man:  This superhero movie is a great blend of comedy, action and heart-warming, fatherly love.  Paul Rudd is hilarious and the plot is interesting and driven. Even if you don’t like Marvel movies, this one is worth a watch.