Thank You for Everything

Our journalism adviser Mrs. Nowak is moving to Ohio over the break will not be returning next semester. As a thank you, all the Spartana staff members wrote her letters to say goodbye and wish her luck on her next adventure.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Thank You for Everything

Dear Mrs. Nowak,
I do not want to appear cheesy or superficial, but you are a great teacher. Although I have not known you for long, your smiles in the morning were able to cheer up my days. I had a lot of fun with you as my teacher, especially when you helped me figure out Indesign and Photoshop. Newspaper has been, and is a great experience for me, and you helped me start it. Thank you for being kind, positive, and helpful in every situation. I truly appreciate it.
Claire Elliott 

Dear Mrs. Nowak,
Thank you for the wonderful adviser you have been. You have always been upbeat and insightful each day we interacted. I will never forget the work nights with you and the random times you surprised us by bringing in food. We will all miss you next semester. I wish you good health and happiness as you continue your education. Each day, I felt your passion for journalism through the way you guided us and helped to develop our writing, editing and interviewing skills. I always felt confident with your opinions when I sought advice.  The Spartana, Retrospect and Homestead will all miss you.
Thanks,
Matthew Quintos

Dear Mrs. Nowak,
My high school experience so far would not be anywhere near as good if you weren’t my teacher for all of it. You have a tough job, guiding puzzled students through the dark path of InDesign, lecturing on the complicated syntax of AP style, and staying kind and helpful throughout it all. You make the Publications class so fun and welcoming, and although it would be rational to turn students away based on their lack of prior knowledge and skills, you are willing to teach everyone all they need to know.
Being on the Spartana has been extremely helpful in developing my writing and social skills. Back in Journalism 1, I didn’t do a single in-person interview, but once I got onto the Spartana, I started to get out of my bubble and talk to people I didn’t know. I’m not sure where I would be now if I wasn’t on this team of talented people.
The Spartana and Retrospect won’t be the same without you, but I think that Mrs. Breame can handle it. We’ll miss you, but we know that you’ll do great in Ohio and we want you to be close to your daughter (and granddaughter!).
Good luck on all of your new endeavors! We love you and miss you!
Thank you,
Emmalyn 

Dear Mrs. Nowak,
From Journalism I to my position as editor-in-chief of the Spartana, you have guided me not only through journalism, but also in life. If it was not for your class, I am not sure I would have known my passion for journalism. You have supported the Spartana staff not only in the classroom, but also outside of it, taking us to Ball State and Washington D.C, both of which are experiences I will be eternally grateful for. I am sad that I will not be able to end my highschool journalism career with you as my teacher; however, I am sure that your move will be beneficial to your family, as well as the new students and staff who will get to work with you in the future. By far, you have been my most supportive teacher in highschool and I will miss you greatly next semester and next year. Thank you for fostering my love for journalism and the best of luck to you in the future.
Sincerely,
Mikayla

Mrs. Nowak,
Ever since I first had you as a teacher as a young, naive freshman, I’ve always looked up to you and felt very comfortable in your class. You helped me a lot in the beginning parts of my freshman year with managing academics and the stress I came to be under, and I’ll always be thankful for that. Thanks to you, journalism became a class in which I could take refuge from the incredibly stressful atmosphere of high school and actually feel comfortable and at ease within a classroom.
I wish you the best of luck when you move. It’ll be sad seeing you leave, but I know that you’re leaving to experience the next part of your life, for which I’m happy for you. Columbus is a great city, and I know that you’ll love living there.
Thank you so much,
Elyssa

Mrs. Nowak-
I am a mixture of delighted and sad as I see you leaving our classroom and entering into a new phase of your life. I wanted to thank you for being so helpful, patient, and kind to each and every one of your students. It’s very clear that you care about writing and journalism, and I hope you will continue to pursue both once you leave Homestead. We will miss you and your back and forth between Retrospect and Spartana, your suggestions, your sense of humor, and your willingness to sit down and help us with whatever we needed.
Although I may not have gotten as much time with you as everyone else, I am glad I spent these two semesters in your presence. Thank you for teaching me about newspaper writing and editing in InDesign, as well as the importance of hard work and collaboration. I know that wherever you go, your students and colleagues will be in good company.
Hafsa

To Mrs. Nowak:
I’ve only been able to be your student for 3 semesters, and to say I know you or you know me better than other students would be me lying through my teeth. However, I can still tell you that you light up the room immediately upon entry. That may sound like something an adult would tell a little kid, but I think that phrase fits you like a glove. Like I said earlier, I haven’t been around you for the same amount of time all the other members of staff have, but I still totally believe my claim is valid. We are (I guess it’s better to say were now) very lucky to have you as our supervisor and teacher. When I first entered Journalism 1 as a freshman, I was a bored and shy kid who was just looking for an elective to fill my final scheduling slot. But I actually had some fun and slowly got more into the class and got, and ended up deciding I was going to join the staff next year. I attribute this to you- I really have appreciated every tip and trick you have taught me on my journey to becoming a better writer overall. I know most of the people from Journalism 1 and 2 didn’t stay or join the staff later on, but I hope you noticed I was one of the only ones that stayed. I have really liked this class and your teaching from day one, I really appreciate the effort you put in to make all of us kids better writers and your contagious optimism. I wish you the best for all of your future endeavors and I am glad you provided me with the tools and knowledge I was looking for.
Thanks a million,
Jake

Dear Mrs. Nowak,
I’d like to begin by saying thank you. Thank you for all of your help and being one of the kindest, most supportive teachers I’ve ever had. When I first moved to Fort Wayne, I remember being nervous on the first day of school, but you helped make the transition easier. Not only was I greeted with a smile in an unfamiliar place, but a welcoming classroom full of new friends. Being apart of Spartana has given me a creative outlet and allowed me to say I’m apart of something special. It’s allowed me to step out of my comfort zone and find out more about Homestead. Some of my favorite memories are the cookie party and decorating pumpkins at your house. Spartana will always be one of my favorite classes, and I owe that to you. You were always so helpful, no matter what the situation was. I couldn’t have done this without you, and I know that you’ll adjust well to Ohio. While class is going to be different without you, I’m excited to see where you’re headed in the future. Again, thank you for everything you’ve done, and have an amazing time in Columbus! I’m sure we will send you some Spartana’s in the mail!
Sincerely,
Julia Epling

Dear Mrs. Nowak,
I know this is probably not the most original way to write a letter, as I am writing in Times New Roman with a size 12 font, but I did enjoy these two years I had with you. You are amazing and a wonderful teacher and I will miss you when you leave. When I first met you, you were such a laidback and cool teacher, and also my favorite. When you offered me a spot on the student publications team I was so happy that my dream of becoming a writer was coming true. I will miss your helpful words with my spreads, you always telling me I need to work on my story to build it up, you putting up with my glass half empty attitude. I appreciate you so much and I hope you will miss us as much as we will miss you.
Sincerely,
Keely Groholski

Dear Mrs. Nowak,
I haven’t known you for that long, but this semester has been a blast.  I am so glad that you reached out to me last year to let me be a part of the Spartana staff.  I allowed me to experience the opportunity of a lifetime. I am so happy I decided to take this class, you are an amazing advisor and I am sad to see you go.  You are a blessing and will succeed in all your future projects. Thank you so much for all you do!
Thank You,
Anna Topmiller

Hi Mrs.Nowak!
Oh my gosh this semester went by so fast. I have loved having you as my publications teacher for the past 2 1/2 years, and I feel like I have learned a lot from you. Just like everyone else I am truly sad to see you go. You were always so inspirational, helpful and encouraging to everyone on the Spartana staff and I know it’s just going to feel so different not having you here next semester. I’m so glad I got the chance to go on the Washington DC with you. I felt like I learned a lot there so thank you for organizing that whole trip because I know it couldn’t have been easy. I hope Ohio is wonderful and I’m glad that you’ll be getting to spend more time with your family. You will be missed.
Thank You for everything you have taught me,
June Hill