What’s Poppin’?

What's Poppin'?

Elyssa Huff, Copy Editor

Welcome to the first edition of “What’s Poppin?” a column that keeps up with the latest pop culture news of the world. Since pop-culture is becoming ever more important in our modern world, I have been forced to crawl out of my nearly two-year Internet hibernation to understand what seems to hold our entire generation in complete captivation all the time. As such, this is an Internet Analysis from eyes that are both cynical and utterly fascinated.

Kim & Kanye Are Divorcing

This is easily the biggest event in pop-culture history in quite a while. Kim Kardashian and Kanye West, long seen as two of the biggest icons in a Hollywood world that values vanity and temporary solutions, seem to be nearing the end of their relationship. According to various sources, Kim and Kanye’s relationship is on life support. Tensions between the two have been strained since West’s run for president, which Kardashian had strongly advised against. The couple has even stopped going to marriage counseling, long a hallmark of Kardashian and West’s honest relationship. More drama will be revealed, inevitably, through Kardashian’s show, Keeping Up With the Kardashians, which will be in its 20th and final season this year. What better way to detail the issues of a divorce than through a lucrative reality television show?
However, West himself does not seem happy with the divorce, appearing to want to work things out with his wife. What will become of the two? Tune into this season to discover divorce done by reality television.

Joshua Bassett and Olivia Rodrigo

Oh, yes. The drama that has completely taken over TikTok in the last two weeks and catapulted Rodrigo’s single, “Driver’s License,” to numerous streaming records on Spotify. Both of these achievements occurred precisely because of the song’s backstory, which makes it all the more intriguing to an outside observer who has no connection to any of these people.
So, an intro to the drama. Joshua Bassett and Olivia Rodrigo are two young actors who gained prominence after starring in the Disney+ television adaptation of High School Musical. The star-crossed lovers apparently fell in love on set, with Bassett writing a song for Rodrigo to indicate the true level of his commitment (this becomes important later). Although the relationship was ethically questionable and was subsequently kept under wraps–he was 20 and she was 17–things seemed to be going well for the new couple. That is, until fellow Disney actress Sabrina Carpenter came into the picture. Reportedly, Bassett began a relationship with Carpenter while he was still with Rodrigo, leading to a crestfallen Rodrigo writing the bitter “Drivers License” to illustrate the pain that she was going through. Fans have jumped on lyrics like “you’re probably with that blond girl” and “Guess you didn’t mean what you wrote in that song about me” to surmise that the song details her doomed relationship with Bassett.

Although these rumors remain unsubstantiated, there’s still plenty of drama to go around. Seemingly in response, Bassett released his new song, entitled “Lie Lie Lie.” He claims that the song is about his former best friend, but many fans and drama observers are skeptical. At this point, this situation just serves as yet another reminder of the power of TikTok to make things go viral, and the ability of an entire generation to air out the dirty laundry of a young couple.

The Bachelor

Yet another symbol of the growing world of reality television, The Bachelor has been making some major headway recently. As a result of this summer’s Black Lives Matter protests, the show decided to feature its first African-American suitor, Matt James. First making an appearance on Clare Crawley’s season of The Bachelorette, James has been a fan favorite ever since. The real estate agent, entrepreneur, and former Wake Forest wide receiver hopes to find the love of his life among a cast of women who compete for his affections.